mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 05 Dec 2022, 13:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gig reviews
PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 18:01 

Bird wrote:
You lucky lucky devil Rachel! I love James Marsters! I always wanted to see Ghost of the Robot before they split up but never got the chance to :cry: Sounds like it was a brilliant gig for you

thanks hun i had a great time obviously i went purposfully to see Ben Mark but James was really good too. i heard James mention Ghost of the Robot i asume that was his band (sorry for the ignorance there) if he was to play another gig abit nearer for home without ben as support i'd definatly go see him again :)

PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 19:42 

You saw James Marsters at the Union Chapel? I soooo wanted to go to that, it clashed with a weekend with my mum I'd had planned for ages. Ye Gods, I used to have such a crush on him.

PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 20:02 
Site Admin

I didn't know James Marsters did music. Well, how behind the times am I? Although I was never a Buffy / Angel person so I only know him form Torchwood. It's good his set went down well though. Sounds like you had a great night Rach.

PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 21:22 

morganalefay wrote:
You saw James Marsters at the Union Chapel? I soooo wanted to go to that, it clashed with a weekend with my mum I'd had planned for ages. Ye Gods, I used to have such a crush on him.

aww shame you couldn't make it hun i think you'd have liked Ben too ;) lol have to say i can see why you use to have a crush on him he's very handsome :P

Quote:
I didn't know James Marsters did music. Well, how behind the times am I? Although I was never a Buffy / Angel person so I only know him form Torchwood. It's good his set went down well though. Sounds like you had a great night Rach.

yup he does although i cant remember if he has a music myspace :? . at the merch table they were selling Buffy/Angel/Torchwood and Dr Who stuff oh and showing Captain John figureines that wont be available till december ;) looked great so if u are a fan i'd look out for those if i knew i'd have taken a pic for you lol. set went down really well there were fans from all over the world there lol. had a great night and Ben was awesome to bless him :) hope it took his music to a wider audience :)

Post subject: Twelvcharge review The Twist May 28th 2008
PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 13:24 

TWELVECHARGE review: The Twist May 28th 2008

Twelvecharge create a powerful sound with a particularly energetic performance from Sutty on songs such as 'Give me Phoenix Wings' and 'A Heartfelt Headrush'. His stage presence is magnificent but he is at times in danger of overshadowing the rest of the band who are doing sterling work in supporting him. The performance felt a bit disjointed at times because of this.The remedy perhaps lies in Sutty himself helping the other band members to project themselves more effectively while keeping his own passion for what he is doing shine through.
Lisa Parker

Post subject: Before Silence Falls review The Twist May 28th 2008
PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 13:29 

BEFORE SILENCE FALLS review: The Twist May 28th 2008

George,the drummer from this band from Colchester Grammar and Sudbury Upper School,told me that they 'all have the capacity and desire to create good music.' Their music takes it beyond this.Their set of excellent songs such as 'Lose Control' and 'Interlude' is underpinned by commitment and charisma. The one glitch lies in Ando's position within the group dynamic as I felt that he wasn't given the prominence that he deserved.This wasn't done deliberately but needs to be addressed so as to create a more balanced relationship between lyrics and music.
Lisa Parker

Post subject: SEAS review The Twist May 28th 2008
PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 13:37 

SEAS review: The Twist May 28th 2008

Seas gave an absolutely stunning performance to the extent that I had to check my notes to confirm that this band's average age is only 17 years. A mesmerising display of musicianship made their performance difficult to fault. Their obvious enjoyment of being on stage combined with their ability to work together as a unit as well as individuals made their performance one to remember. Louis bases his lyrics on 'silly little things that happen' and on 'stories'-long may it continue! The next year is going to be an interesting one-perhaps time to play slightly larger venues to see how things develop musically.
Lisa Parker

Post subject: VS THE ANCHOR review The Twist 28th May 2008
PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 13:42 

VS THE ANCHOR review: The Twist May 28th 2008

This melodic metal band tole me that they are 'out to create music we enjoy and hopefully other people like'. Judging by the audience participation they have succeeded in doing both. They had a great night but there was a feeling that it was just a bit too easy for them. A planned encore would have rounded off their set perfectly. They have now played 40-50 gigs and are looking to widen their horizons. They hope to play festivals in the future and want to network more widely- perhaps an indication that they are now ready for a greater challenge.
Lisa Parker

Post subject: For Everything a Reason review The Twist 28th May 2008
PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 13:49 

FOR EVERYTHING A REASON review: The Twist May 28th 2008

This band from Colchester Institute said that they hoped 'to have entertained and done a good show'.They did so and more.A strong,muscular,energetic guitar and drum sound aided Deanie's vocals which were shown off best in songs such as 'Asphyxiation' and 'Visions'. Verbal communication and clapping with the audience started off well but then got lost between songs despite this being one of their strengths. A few visual distractions such as band members moving across the stage doing their own thing is fine but could ultimately detract from the music if overdone. Their enjoyment of what they were doing came across brilliantly-thanks guys for a night that rocked!
Lisa Parker

PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 14:09 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting all these reviews Lisa. Sounds like an interesting night at a venue I'm always happy to visit when mesh-29 play in Colchester.

It might be helpful if you could post myspace or other website links so that it's easier for people to check out any of the bands if anyone's appetite is whetted by your reviews.

I hope you don't mind me moving all your reviews into this thread - it helps keep the board tidy!

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008, 18:41 
Site Admin

Thanks for your reviews Lisa! Your night at The Twist certainly sounds like a good 'un!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008, 21:03 
Site Admin

Full review and story of the weekend in my myspace blog. (No point going on about low flying pigeons and twonk taxi drivers here!) Anyway...

God Circle tickets, yep expensive, but worth it. Almost five hours of music, and almost three of those Bon Jovi.

Local Support: Heaven's Basement
Extremely good, bit like Aerosmith in training, great stage presence. Held their own totally in fron of a 60,000 strong crowd.

Main Support: The Feeling
Thought they were great, but I like 'em anyway. Struggled a bit to win over the rock loving crowd, which was a shame.

Then to Bon Jovi, first time I've seen 'em, and I didn't know what to expect. Even though I didn't know all the tunes, it didn't matter. The ones I did know I was there singing and arm waving with the best of 'em. Jon is a natural showman and Richie's guitar skills are something else. Certainly had a effect on me, I've been singing Bon Jovi tunes to myself at work ever since!

Richie Hevanz from Heaven's Basement. I took this, me, and it's in focus and everything! I'm very proud!

Three of The Feeling

"You put your left arm in..."

"Reach for the stars..." Oop, wrong song .Damn!

Why do the screens on this one remind me of an aquarium? Here fishy, fishy!

No need to shout Jon, we can hear you lad.

I wonder what you get if you join all them dots up? Hmm.

Lots of very cool lights.

"That's is folks. We're all sung out. Go on. Go home!"

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008, 23:51 

wow thanks Kerry i so wish i couldve seen BJ love em :) pics r great :)

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 20:35 

Last Tuesday I finally fulfilled my ambition of seeing Radiohead live ... and what a night! I remember being very envious of my sister seeing them at the CIA a few years ago, at the time of the ‘Hail to the Thief’ tour. In an email she had described how, early in the set, Thom Yorke had started chanting ‘Car-diff, Car-diff’ and encouraging the audience to follow him, and that they had then looped the chant and built it up into a whole hypnotic backing for a song, and thinking how fascinating that was.

Anyway, after a jolly afternoon at the Cy Twombly exhibition in the Tate Modern, and a very late lunch at the lovely Mudlark pub in the shadow of Southwark Cathedral (excellent real ale and astounding food – I had a pork pie the size of my head, and one-third of it ended up in my bag), we wandered slowly eastwards for a couple of hours, across Tower Bridge and down to Whitechapel Road, dodging the traffic and noting the scaffolding, finally arriving in Victoria Park at about 6.15 and finding a massive festival stage set up, and people as far as the eye could see!

Nothing much happened

until about 6:45 when Natasha ‘Bat for Lashes’ Khan and her band materialized.

I already knew she was great – the only reason I haven’t got her first album is that there are so many others on my list – but she was also a really big hit with Himself, who said ‘Oooh! This is great! This is really interesting and weird!’ Her voice is lovely live, much less breathy than she sounds on recordings, and (being one myself) I’m always encouraged to find sopranos in pop music, as there are so few. For the uninitiated she sounds sort of like Kate Bush crossed with Bjork, with a lot of Celtic and Native American-sounding bits, especially sound in the drumming and the interesting ethnic instruments.

Sadly, during one of her songs the sound cut out! The roadies fiddled about for a bit but there was nothing for it – she had to go off. Fortunately, after ten minutes she came back on again, said something like ‘It’s not completely fixed, but we’ll carry on anyway’, and did three more songs. Himself now wants everything she’s ever recorded. I’m on the case.

Then there was much hanging about and watching more and more people accumulating. I spotted someone wearing a T-shirt which said ‘I listen to bands that don’t exist yet!’ Several false alarms were prompted by rolling cheers from the nutters down the front (we were nowhere near the front, which, since we’re both short, wasn’t a good move). The rest of the pork pie got eaten and very thankful we were for it, too. Finally, just after 8.30, some distant figures materialised on the stage to the accompaniment of lots of noise from the front. Some drums started up and, suddenly, that oh-so-familiar voice rang out across the field ‘How come I end up where I started?’ but sounding much, much better than he ever does on recordings. And we were off.

Obviously, it’s Radiohead, you don’t expect any kind of pandering to their ‘greatest hits’, so the offering of ‘Pyramid Song’ quite early in the set provoked some appreciative ‘ooohs’ from the audience.

They played pretty much the whole of ‘In Rainbows’, including ‘Bangers and Mash’ off the second CD, which live is a huge, magnificently noisy beast with the synth solo that sounds like it’s beaming in from the early-70s version of the Doctor Who theme almost propelling them into orbit.

‘Nude’ was another highlight. And ‘Jigsaw Falling Into Place’. As for ‘There There’, if ever a song came into its own live, this one is it, as they build up layer after layer of percussion and bass, add some guitar, then Thom’s voice comes soaring over the top, and into the second verse the song continues to build up momentum until it peaks with a great noisy jam session and then dies down again into the pounding percussion.

The sound was stupendously good - the clearest I’ve ever heard at an outdoor gig (and many indoor ones). Everything was wonderfully distinct – no big fuzzy mash-up of guitar noises like you often get. The music seems more immediate and coherent live and Thom sounds amazing (though I should be used by now to really good singers sounding better live). They played for a good two hours, including two encores (lots of excited noise from the audience as the massive opening riff of ‘Airbag’ swung into earshot) while for the second encore Thom skulked on to the stage on his own and performed a breathtaking solo piano ‘Cymbal Rush’ off his ‘Eraser’ album...

before the rest of the band shambled back on to finish with a big, noisy, bouncy rendition of ‘Idioteque’. The two-hour schlepp home went quite quickly after all that. They really are one of the best bands in the world.

PS. The setlist, for those who are interested ( :mrgreen: ), was:
‘15 Step’
‘Bodysnatchers’
‘All I Need’
‘The National Anthem’
‘Pyramid Song’
‘Nude’
‘Weird Fishes / Arpeggi’
‘The Gloaming’
‘Dollars & Cents’
‘Faust Arp’
‘There There’
‘Just’
‘Climbing Up The Walls’
‘Reckoner’
‘Everything In Its Right Place’ *
‘How To Disappear Completely’
‘Jigsaw Falling Into Place’
- - -
‘Videotape’
‘Airbag’
‘Bangers & Mash’
‘Planet Telex’
‘The Tourist’
- - -
‘Cymbal Rush’
‘You And Whose Army’
‘Idioteque’

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 23:07 
Site Admin

Fantastic review Fliss - many thanks. I should have been there really (probably the most 'high profile casualty of my 'small gigs only' policy to date).

"So very proud"