mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 16 Aug 2022, 16:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gig reviews
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2008, 23:51 

I thought I'd start a 'gig reviews' thread for comments and photos, as I've got two to be going on with from last week.

Guillemots at Shepherds Bush (on the 11th) were excellent. They played a lot of their new stuff, which has a marvellous 70s-feeling glam-rock stomp to it, and is quite a departure from the chaotic, orchestral, happy-Radiohead sound of their first album. Curiously, in many ways the new songs are more conventional, with more of a structure, and none of them seems to involve a dustbin lid. Standouts included the opener, 'Kriss Kross', and 'Words', featuring Fyfe Dangerfield on keyboards and harmonica (not at the same time) and guest vocals from the support act Ida Maria, whose big, gutsy mezzo voice blended beautifully with Fyfe's clear, rich, Roddy Frame-esque tenor. They also played some rather different arrangements of the songs off their first album, with lots more guitar rather than keyboard. The highlight for me was when the rest of the band went off and Fyfe sang 'We're Here' on his own just with his guitar, which was absolutely gorgeous. They finished with a bunch of crowd-pleasing numbers from their first album - 'Annie, Let's Not Wait' ('This is our party song!') 'Trains to Brazil', 'Sao Paolo' with added dustbin lid and, after the encore, a 'Redwings' to die for. Marvellous. Here are some pics.

Dustbin lid

Last edited by morganalefay on 17 Mar 2008, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gig reviews
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2008, 00:02 

And the following night - joy of joy - Delays set the Camden Barfly on fire with a comprehensive selection of songs from their first and second albums, their recent EP and their forthcoming third album. Their new songs sound wonderful - generally harder and faster than their older stuff, but still featuring more tunes than a branch of Boots and festooned with their trademark shimmery falsetto harmonies, jangly guitar and electronic jiggery-pokery. New single 'Hooray' and 'Keep It Simple' are particular standouts, and there was much singing along to existing favourites such as 'This Town's Religion', 'Long Time Coming', 'Nearer than Heaven', 'Hideaway' and 'Valentine'. The title track of the recent EP, 'Love Made Visible', with the Gilbert brothers, Greg and Aaron, duetting on the chorus, sounded particularly splendid live. A few pics:

Aaron

Greg

Aaron and Greg

Colin

Quick shot of Rowly the drummer when Greg wasn't in the way

Greg without the top of his head

I'm going to see them again next week.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2008, 00:39 
Site Admin

morganalefay wrote:
I thought I'd start a 'gig reviews' thread for comments and photos, as I've got two to be going on with from last week.

Great idea!

morganalefay wrote:
Roddy Frame-esque

"Bows down". Roddy Frame, whether solo or as the heart & soul of Aztec Camera, is one of my all time musical heroes. And an absolute treat live too.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2008, 08:05 

Quote:
"Bows down". Roddy Frame, whether solo or as the heart & soul of Aztec Camera, is one of my all time musical heroes. And an absolute treat live too.

He's one of mine too, I need to add him to the 'People I still want to see live' thread. It's funny, ever since I first saw Guillemots back in 2005 I'd been trying to think who Fyfe's voice reminded me of. I think it took a Guillemots track being followed by 'Spanish Horses' on my MP3 player to click.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2008, 19:45 
Site Admin

MCGlentworth wrote:
morganalefay wrote:

Great idea!

Seconded =D> Brilliant idea Fliss, will help keep this place something like tidy an' all.

They both look like great gigs you went to. I'm not so keen on The Guillemots to be honest. I saw them support Gledhill back in the day in Sheffield. just before folk started to notice 'em. Seeing as though lots of folk rave about them though, I ought to make and effort to revisit their tunes.

The Delays are on my 'Get round to it' list. A friend recommended them to me a while back. I think they might have to get bumped up the list!

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2008, 21:28 

this thread is an excellent idea! :) looked like great gigs not that i'm really into either bands though to be honest (sorry)

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2008, 08:32 

We went to see Boy Kill Boy at the Bloomsbury Ballroom last night. I am extremely tired so if this makes no sense, blame the venue I reckon!

Some random bloke was up first (at 9pm - doors opened at 7pm allegedly!), a bit odd - well, really odd to be honest! Just him and a little keyboardy effort with backing music and a rather interesting dance technique! Although his songs were rubbish I couldn't help but smile, nay, laugh at his antics on stage! I believe I told Alex that a backflipping bunny on stage would have been just as entertaining - but I could be making that up, I may well have dreamt it!

Next up was Haunts. Saw them supporting Boy Kill Boy in Reading a while back (before our beloved Fez Club shut it's doors forever, sob :cry: ) and I didn't like them. But, I thought they were better than last time and couldn't stop my foot from tapping ever so slightly. Couldn't hear the dude singing though - possibly a good thing considering I could hear him last time & didn't like them!

I found my perfect man at the gig - Kerry, I found the surfer dude, yay! - which distracted me slightly from the matter in hand - i.e. Boy Kill Boy's set. Oooops! But he WAS beautiful! And he was a guitar tech so I got to view him (whether discreetly or not is anyones guess!) on stage from the confines of the ballroom. <Sigh> - happy days!

oh, yeah, Boy Kill Boy - blooming brilliant, and the guy playing guitar with them had the nicest smile in the world, totally contageous - and he was possibly 5th on my list for my perfect man. :lol: A very well behaved crowd - the place was pretty big, I think it holds about 800 in the ballroom itself - it felt like I was at a smaller gig though - no pushing, no shoving, no screaming in my ear - bliss! Some woman's hair touched me a few times though, made my skin crawl, urgh!

Nice mix of new songs & classic Boy Kill Boy tunes - wish the set had been longer and earlier though. No matter! My only big regret is I didn't take my camera so I have no proof of Mr Perfect apart from a memory, <sigh> again! :wink:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2008, 12:01 
Site Admin

I'm very disappointed in you Laura. What's the first thing you get taught at gig school? Always, ALWAYS, take your camera with you!! :lol: Fancy coming away with no photographic evidence, honestly missus!! Tut.

Sound likes you had more time surfer spotting than anything.

No pushing and shoving at a gig is always a bonus, much as I like Mika, his crowds are a nightmare. Thing is there's quite a few little 'uns go to his and they get a really rough deal out of it. Poor kids.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008, 18:28 

I must listen to more Boy Kill Boy, I really like what I've heard of their stuff.

Sadly, there will not be a review of Muse's Teenage Cancer Trust gig at the Albert Hall on this thread, as I didn't get tickets. :cry:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008, 20:40 
Site Admin

morganalefay wrote:
Sadly, there will not be a review of Muse's Teenage Cancer Trust gig at the Albert Hall on this thread, as I didn't get tickets. :cry:

You and me both - I tried but failed too. Being at that gig would have been a fitting end to what's been a pretty good day.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008, 19:15 

BENEVA, EMMA FOREMAN AND LAMENT AT SAINT MICHEAL'S & ALL ANGEL'S CHURCH - STOURPORT ON SEVERN, WORCESTERSHIRE - FRIDAY 11TH APRIL 2008

This was the second of the Music at St Mikes nights, what a fantastic idea it is too set in a church with amazing acoustics the kind of place i could easily see Mesh29 do and acoustic set for sure :) anyway on with the review of Friday's night.

There was suppose to be 4 acts on but 1 dropped out due to having the flu so the other acts were given a few extra minutes and 1 even got to do 23 sets but that wasn't Beneva :).

First up was a young lady from Scotland (yup she travelled all the way down to Stourport) and my god what a voice powerful and true, her music was mainly about love and disappointment sorry didnt write a setlist neither did i take some pics. She actually did 2 sets before Beneva and then again before lament after the interval. second on were the band i was waiting to see, Beneva, a duo from Sutton Coldfield and Coventry, They did a 30 minute set (again sorry didnt write a set list or took pics slaps wrist) got to say the highlight that i'll remember forever will be their song Stalker they try and put other songs in with it like Tainted Love and I Think We're Alone Now and Pass The Douche on the left hand side lol so anyway they tried to put Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley well they messed it up completely Malc really should've asked me to teach him the words b4 he tried singing it hehe. after a 20 minute interval Emma was back for a 20 minute set followed by Lament a Latin American influenced band from Leaminton Spa they really jazzed things up with their sound

ok here are the address to check out those beneva, emma and lament

BENEVA - http://www.myspace.com/beneva
EMMA FOREMAN - http://www.myspace.com/emmaforman
LAMENT - http://www.myspace.com/lamentuk

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008, 18:55 

no reviews since the last one oh well lol

Captain supported by Beneva - Barfly B'ham - Friday 18th April 08

only really went to this with the intention of watching beneva's set then go home but was persuaded by the guys to at least give Captain a listen
so i did and i have to say i quite liked them ;)

b4 Beneva their was a duo on stage who'd name escapes my atm i'm sure it'll come to me anyway it was a male guitarest and vocalist and a female vocalist. he was the main singer and was ok have to say i dont think the venue really suited what he was playing but still. after there half hour set beneva was on stage. yet again i failed to do a set list i have taken pics this time and will add them tomorrow ;). they usually just play as a duo but last night it was a full band line up which made the songs sound immense i stood there mainly in awe of the sound and clapping along when asked to do so by the boys :) lol. they did a full 40 minutes although they could've been on stage for at least another hour lol.

Captain came on after a slight interval (to set their instruments up) played a lot of new stuff (they have an album out later in the year and a single out next month) like i said in my intro i was quite surprised at how good i thought they where. sang the single Glorious and mentioned a few times it was the guitarist Mario's birthday (que a small number singing happy birthday!). their sent ended 25 minutes b4 my train home (i love birmingham the last train is actually after 11pm!!).

beneva blew me away one of the best gigs i've been to of theres even if they've had 5 months apart they sounded as tight as ever as if they'd never been apart :)

roll on the next one (hopefully supporting Mesh29 again what about it Mezza! ;))

PostPosted: 06 May 2008, 22:33 

Ben Mark Live at the Union Chapel 02/05/08

It’s been 15 months since the last time I managed to get to a gig so this one was an unmissable opportunity for me as it was a Friday night. The gig was as support to American Actor/Singer James Marsters (Torchwood/Buffy etc) and Ben didn’t disappoint his interaction with the almost full house was great and the songs were a good mix of older favourites and newer tunes. Here was the set list!
Tied To
The Wagon
Bad Boyfriend
New String to Pull
Amber
Bent
Your Favourite Time of Year
You Try
Fixer Upper
The Venue was a Chapel situated in Islington, London. It’s a really beautiful place with great acoustics perfect for an acoustic gig. Ben was worried about some of the bad language in some of his songs and asked what she mum would say. Needless to say she’d not like him swearing in a church but Ben said she wasn’t there but he did try and sing without the f’ing and blinding (there was some success not allot though lol).
He had 'Paces We’ll Never Go' and the 'Limited Edition EP' for sale so he thought he’d better sing an album track to get peoples taste for it (my god it did more on that later) so Amber was the track chosen to showcase the cd. I’ve filmed the song and should be available to view on our myspace page @ http://www.myspace.com/benmarkunofficial. not sure he got the lyrics completely right and afterwards said as much asking for a copy of the album and the booklet had the lyrics to all the songs in it in case he sang another one (of course he didn’t do another one but never mind lol). Then came the news we have been waiting for since the release of 'Places...' 4 years ago, the new album will be mixed in the next couple of weeks woohoo although the next song bent wont make the new album and would probably never make any album (which is a shame cos I love it! Lol)
After his set there was a short interval before James Masters was due on stage and he spent the time doing a meet and greet with fans, signing copies of the album and the ep like they were going out of fashion well actually the eps did they all sold out really quickly . He came over to me and my friends Alice and Mona and said hi which is when I gave him a couple of prezzies 1 was a copy of a signed team sheet full of Bristol Rovers players at their game with Plymouth (when Ian Holloway was in charge) followed by a signed pic of Mr Holloway himself the photo was of him in his Bristol Rovers playing days, to say Ben was really pleased would be an understatement I’ve never known anyone as excited than him hehe.
James’ set then began Mona wanted to get a drink so we headed to the bar so we did miss most of his set but what I heard of it was really impressive. The gig ended and we went back to the merchandise area and met back up with Ben again he was signing autographs and chatting to fans like a pro. I went over and got a cd for Alice as she spent what felt like an age deciding where or not too get one handing my cash over b4 he had time to say anything apart from “shall I sign it for her too” erm yes ben that’s the whole point!! I then called the girls over to us while he chatted to yet more fans I then got him to sign a couple of pictures one was an old one of him (cant really say much more than that) the other one was a screen capture of him in the Take That video Rule The World for my friend (god bless Sky +) I also got myself a pic with him thanked him for putting Amber into the set list he told me that was just for me (bless) and as always talked turned to football lol a few minutes later it was hugs all round and we left. We were so pleased we saw him Mona and Alice especially as it was their first Ben Mark live gig. Looking forward to the next one already
Pictures available via the pictures section of http://www.benmarkworld.co.uk. I hope u enjoy them and the video at http://www.myspace.com/benmarkunofficial

PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 08:12 

You lucky lucky devil Rachel! I love James Marsters! I always wanted to see Ghost of the Robot before they split up but never got the chance to :cry: Sounds like it was a brilliant gig for you

PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 18:01 

Bird wrote:
You lucky lucky devil Rachel! I love James Marsters! I always wanted to see Ghost of the Robot before they split up but never got the chance to :cry: Sounds like it was a brilliant gig for you

thanks hun i had a great time obviously i went purposfully to see Ben Mark but James was really good too. i heard James mention Ghost of the Robot i asume that was his band (sorry for the ignorance there) if he was to play another gig abit nearer for home without ben as support i'd definatly go see him again :)