mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 05 Dec 2022, 11:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keane Thread
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 09:59 
Site Admin

I really enjoyed Monday’s gig, but am still left wondering whether some of the ‘magic’ has gone for me. The only new song that made a completely favourable impression on me was ‘Perfect Symmetry’ itself - just amazing, and epic in every way possible (didn’t pick up on the ‘Pillar to Post’ similarity Fliss – definitely something to investigate when I get the album). Was also good to hear plenty of piano on this song – something that wasn’t always as apparent elsewhere.

I’d heard ‘Love Is The End’ before of course, and this was probably my second favourite of the new songs they played. Now it may be coincidental, but these were maybe the only new songs where Tom didn’t have an electric guitar round his neck and just got on with doing what Tom does best – using his glorious voice to best advantage.

Although not a fan of ‘Spiralling’ on record I was impressed with the live version and no-one can deny just how damn catchy the song is.

From where I was standing the sound on the ‘guitar’ songs wasn’t as ‘pure’ as I like it to be. It was fascinating to see Tom with the guitar, but not so sure about the end result! The band seemed to work very well as a four piece – definitely good to have a live bass rather than the pre-recorded version we’ve got so used to over the years.

I shared Fliss’ relief at the absence of Crystal Ball (particularly its’ dreadful ‘chorus’) and pleasure at the inclusion of the beautiful ‘Atlantic’. As for ‘Everybody’s Changing’ – well I think this will always be one of my favourite songs and I hope they always play it live.

Keane have clearly ‘moved on’ with this album but on the basis of pretty much all the evidence so far (except the superb ‘Perfect Symmetry’ itself), I guess I haven’t.

Runs away and takes solace in 'White Light' and 'Wide Awake'.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 11:10 

I have'nt moved on either! :( The magic, for me, was that Keane had a unique sound. They were'nt like any other Band I had heard. :) Maybe, it's the gap between their albums (filled sometimes by other performers) but I can't raise the enthusiasm for this one. :( I am hoping that the live performance I plan to go to at Liverpool will reignite the feelings I had when I last saw them. :) I know they have to move on, but my heart sinks when they (or others) talk about a song sounding like U2, David Bowie etc. I had no interest in either of those performers. Keane outshone them all in my book. :)

Do I sound like a "grumpy old woman"? :lol: Probably, but this is how I feel at this time. :)

Diana :)
xx

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2008, 23:24 

I need to get you together with my husband, who is quite despondent about the fact that he doesn't like the new stuff. I'm afraid I have to say I'm liking it more and more and am now extremely impatient for the album.

In the meantime, here are some pics from the Forum gig.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008, 23:22 
Site Admin

I'm enjoying Keane's new album (being streamed this week on LastFM) more than I ever expected to (on the basis of my initial thoughts on 'Spiralling') but, above all, am so loving the title track. It's restored my faith to quite a massive extent. There's probably more interesting tracks on the album but 'Perfect Symmetry' itself is certainly 'hitting the spot' for me.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008, 10:52 

Yes, hooray for Last.fm! I'm absolutely loving 'Black Burning Heart' myself - the vocals are sublime. I really hope they start playing it at gigs some time soon.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008, 17:12 

The albums been 'album of the week' on Ken Bruce's show this week and i'm liking what i'm hearing. not sure i'll be buying it tho may need a few more listens lol

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 09:25 

I've just watched the video for "The lovers are losing", and I'm not keen on it at all. :)
Starts off nicely romantic (always a plus with me!) :lol: but goes downhill from there. Rather menacing I thought. I'm sure there's lots of hidden meanings in it, but they passed me by I'm afraid. :)

I have been listening to "Perfect Symmetry" and I do like that song. I think it will be my favourite, but I should get the album next week, so on further listening, I may change my mind. :)

xx

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 09:39 
Site Admin

My 'Deluxe Edition' of the new album has just arrived - how's that for service from HMV!

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 11:43 

I've found HMV to be good in the past, but on this occasion I have ordered from another supplier (cheaper!!!!) and its probably coming in from Timbuctu! :lol: However, I can wait. I have enough good music to keep me happy for a while! :)

xx

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 14:21 

I try not to buy anything from HMV. my mate at work and I call them 'The Minstry Of Silly Prices' as their usually thee most expensive place to buy music and dvds :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2008, 21:29 

If anyone has the 4music channel (360 on Sky) Keane are on now - their show from the 02 arena, finishes at 10pm.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2008, 21:35 

Look carefully and you might spot some people you know in the crowd! :D

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2008, 22:13 

I've just watched! It reminded me of a fabulous evening. :) I was'nt as near the TV as I could have been, and my long distance vision could use some attention, so I did'nt spot that red hair! :lol: I know that Kerry and co were there in the front row. :)

Keane were at their very best IMO. It was brilliant! . :D

xx

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2008, 19:09 
Site Admin

mowgli77 wrote:
If anyone has the 4music channel (360 on Sky) Keane are on now - their show from the 02 arena, finishes at 10pm.
I saw that last night, and you'll all be pleased to know I liked lots. Would you believe it folks I'm actually coming round to whole Keane thing. Yay!!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2008, 02:12 
Site Admin

Wonderful gig at a beautiful venue (Union Chapel) tonight. And what a start to their set, with Tom Chaplin (solo and totally unplugged) playing and singing 'Again and Again' and 'The Frog Prince' (the former on stage and the latter 'in front of the front row'). Probably unsuprisingly that 'big voice' was more than capable of 'filling' the venue.

Really good acoustic session in what has to be one of the most atmospheric venues n London. Great to see the cello, violin and 'musical saw' accompaniment to 'Love Is The End' and I think the strings actually improved 'Somewhere Only We Know' (never one of my favourite Keane songs). I even 'sort of' enjoyed 'You Haven't Told Me Anything' (by far my least favourite track on the new album) without that irritating electric guitar riff! The acoustic version of 'Perfect Symmetry' itself only reinforced my absolute love of this stunning song.

On leaving the venue, it was great to be greeted and get chance to renew acquaintance with "the Drs Rice-Oxley" (Tim's parents), who Dave (a very good friend I met through following Keane) and myself used to meet up with quite regularly at Keane gigs all over the country back in 2004. Just a shame I didn't have a copy of 'Secret Traffic' to hand!

Many other members of this forum were at this gig, so hopefully there may be other comments added later!

"So very proud"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next