mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 16 Aug 2022, 16:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keane Thread
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 16:16 

Yes I would have to admit I am not that crazy about the new Keane song either. I AM however very excited about the Mesh-29 Album that is coming out:)
Hopefully the rest of the songs on Keane's album are better? I mean, I have no desire to relive the 80's having been through them the 1st time. Now the 60's are a different matter....hehe.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2008, 23:39 

I really love this new song, i have to admit i was scared that i wasn't going to like it but they have pulled it off.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 22:24 

Lovers are losing, Better than this and Love is the end are all fantastic songs aswell.
I am sooooo excited with this new album.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 23:24 
Site Admin

It's all a bit weird for me. I've been a massive Bowie fan for more years than many people on here (including my current musical heroes) have been alive. Somehow though I wish that Keane weren't (apparently) trying so hard to emulate the 'great man' but were sticking to their own strengths. Time moves on though I guess, and it has to be commendable that Keane are clearly evolving into a 'different place'.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 07:59 

What you say is true, Martin, who knows maybe the rest of the album will come through? It IS Keane after all.
(sigh) at my age, there is just so much great music coming from other artists who are indeed much older, it makes it hard to justify.
Glad our boys here (Mesh-29) have pulled through wih a fantastic 2nd album! :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 23:05 

MCGlentworth wrote:
Very different. Very catchy. Does virtually nothing for me though.

Agree SO much.

The songs I have heard are very average. They're trying so bloody hard to be different that they're not hitting the nail on the head. Idk, I've listened to their 4 songs from the new album and I'm not fond of any single one of them. I think they found a style they were good at with Hopes and Fears and now they're trying to go away from that but imo, I think their new stuff isn't exciting. It's very poppy and annoying, which might be what they were going for, but it's not what suits them. Tim has a style that he's good at, and tbh, I just don't think he's good at all this 80 pop stuff. Some bands/artists are and some aren't. That's not to say that the ONLY type of stuff Tim can do is related to Hopes and Fears, but I just don't think this new album is going to be a huge hit with anyone compared to the H&F, or even UTIS.

Basically, I'm also bored to tears of listening to or reading about the hype of this new album, and to say the least, it's been a big fat disappointment so far.

Yeah, anyway, I'll stop being negative. I know I should have posted this on the new forum but it's just so confusing. :-s 8-[

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 23:39 
Site Admin

Deez Nuts wrote:
MCGlentworth wrote:
Very different. Very catchy. Does virtually nothing for me though.

Agree SO much.

The songs I have heard are very average. They're trying so bloody hard to be different that they're not hitting the nail on the head. Idk, I've listened to their 4 songs from the new album and I'm not fond of any single one of them. I think they found a style they were good at with Hopes and Fears and now they're trying to go away from that but imo, I think their new stuff isn't exciting. It's very poppy and annoying, which might be what they were going for, but it's not what suits them. Tim has a style that he's good at, and tbh, I just don't think he's good at all this 80 pop stuff. Some bands/artists are and some aren't. That's not to say that the ONLY type of stuff Tim can do is related to Hopes and Fears, but I just don't think this new album is going to be a huge hit with anyone compared to the H&F, or even UTIS.

Basically, I'm also bored to tears of listening to or reading about the hype of this new album, and to say the least, it's been a big fat disappointment so far.

Yeah, anyway, I'll stop being negative. I know I should have posted this on the new forum but it's just so confusing. :-s 8-[

I feel your pain Hannah. Other than 'Spiralling' (but even that sounds good on the radio) I don't dislike any of the new songs, but they just don't have that magical quality that they conjured up so well between them in the past. Still, I'll be able to judge the new material in a live context in less than 4 weeks.

Meanwhile... 1, 2,3, 4.... "There's a White Light In The Distance"...

PS: I have one (NB was three, but two have been sold) spare tickets to Keane's Forum gig on Monday 29th September. Face value (£25) to registered members of this forum. (add booking fees which make it more like £29 if you're a 'guest').

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2008, 21:47 

I hate to say this - it seems disloyal, but I can't really get into the Keane songs I have heard from the new album. I don't wake up in the night humming any of them, like I used to with Hopes and Fears. (does that sound daft?) :?

I know you can't stand still in the music business, and people are always looking for something new, but Keane revived my interest in modern music single handedly when they made Hopes & Fears. I'm not sure I would have been as smitten with this new album. :?

I'll wait until the entire album comes out, and see how I feel then. :)

Diana :)
xx

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2008, 23:12 

Nothing about the last post was "daft". I am feeling the same way, and it appears that we are not alone in thie. I personally liked both Hopes and Fears AND Under The Iron Sea, I saw a lot of growth between those 2 albums. This 3rd project is simply not one I can get behind, at least not from what I have heard so far.

Hey there is nothing disloyal about saying what you honestly feel, I am only disappointed in this latest stuff, that doesn't mean the other stuff is negated by it, OR that they can't get into another creative groove somewhere later down the line.
I love a lot of music from many people, and I do tend to favour the sound of the 60's. Keane brought me back to that in this current day with Hopes and Fears, and UTIS, and that creative spark IS there, so I am gonna say that this is probably just a phase.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2008, 23:40 

Adastria wrote:
Nothing about the last post was "daft". I am feeling the same way, and it appears that we are not alone in thie. I personally liked both Hopes and Fears AND Under The Iron Sea, I saw alot of growth between those 2 albums. This 3rd project is simply not one I can get behind, at least not from what I have heard so far.
Hey there is nothing disloyal about saying what you honestly feel, I am only dissapointed in this latest stuff, that doesn't mean the other stuff is negated by it, OR that they can't get into another creative groove somewhere later down the line.
I love alot of music from many people, and I do tend to favour the sound of the 60's. Keane brought me back to that in this current day with Hopes and Fears, and UTIS, and that creative spark IS there, so I am gonna say that this is probably just a phase.

I have to say I am really liking the new stuff,although I do prefer the first 2 albums,saying that 'Love is the end' is to me very old Keane. I can't wait to hear Spiralling played live.

In my opinion any negative comments about the new stuff is not daft or disloyal as it is so different to what we are used to from the lads; as long as the comments are not a personal attack on TTR any comments good or bad about the music is welcome and makes for great debates. :)

Sarah x

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 19:21 

I really love the new keane songs, i can't wait for the album to come out on the 13th october.
I can't wait to see them live again on the 29th sept.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 19:56 

I have to say I like the new Keane single very catchy very 80s sound too tis good! :)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 20:18 

Keane were on Jonathon Ross on Friday night. You probably saw them. :) They will be at The Forum in Kentish Town tomorrow night. :) Tickets for their UK tour are on sale now. :)

Diana
:) xx

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 21:47 

yup saw them on JR in fact when i went to watch Golden Balls in london on friday they were in the studio next door. didnt get to see them tho lol

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 10:49 

I'm very happy to report that they rocked mightily at the Forum last night. The sight of Tom Chaplin wielding a Telecaster and playing riffs takes a bit of getting used to at first, but the new stuff sounds completely amazing live, and having Jesse Quin in the mix playing bass, synths and assorted percussion and singing backing vocals makes it all much more organic. I was particularly impressed with 'You Haven't Told Me Anything' and 'Perfect Symmetry' itself, which may be the best thing they've ever done (Martin, did you think there was a slight suggestion of Aztec Camera's 'Pillar to Post' about the melody of the verse?) I was impressed by how well 'Spiralling' held up against 'Everybody's Changing' since they played them one after the other. And their choice of tracks off 'Under The Iron Sea' was exemplary - no 'Crystal Ball', hooray, and 'Atlantic' in the encore.

This was the setlist (I took a photo of it, as we were right above the sound desk!)

The Lovers Are Losing
Better Than This
This Is The Last Time
You Haven't Told Me Anything
A Bad Dream
Everybody's Changing
Spiralling
Again and Again
Somewhere Only We Know
Perfect Symmetry
Bedshaped
------------
Atlantic
Is It Any Wonder?
Love Is The End

And I remembered why I go to Keane gigs, queue for hours, etc. No recordings ever do justice to the hair-raising beauty of Tom's voice, especially in the upper register.

There will be photos at some point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next