mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 16 Aug 2022, 17:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keane Thread
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2008, 10:30 

Oh you missed a trick there Martin! Tut Tut - not having a copy of Secret Trafffic on you. [-X :lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed Union Chapel. It looks like a lovely venue :) How nice it must have been to meet up with old friends again, and I can imagine you in seventh heaven when Keane sang "Perfect Symmetry". :) There are bound to be lots of pics and maybe videos, for us to enjoy. :)

Diana :)
xx

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2008, 14:03 

the Union Chapel is a beautiful venue isnt it :) saw Ben Mark there back in May :D

next time take ST with you! hehe glad u had a good time Martin :)

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2008, 14:10 

It sounds like it might have topped last year's Union Chapel gig, which ranks as one of the best I've ever been to. Solo, acoustic, mic-less Frog Prince! Heaven! (It's still, to date, my favourite Keane song, I'm so glad they're keeping it in the set for special occasions, they obviously realise it's a fan favourite.) I wish I'd heard the acoustic version of Perfect Symmetry too. Ah well, off to Youtube.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2008, 15:23 

Last night was amazing, worth £40

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2008, 22:42 

The fan who calls herself 'girlwithmousyhair' (who obviously has excellent taste in music) has posted a really good quality vid of the acoustic version of 'Perfect Symmetry' on Youtube. I sooooooooooooooooo wish I could have been there to hear this.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4OVwLBr ... re=related

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 00:15 
Site Admin

morganalefay wrote:
The fan who calls herself 'girlwithmousyhair' (who obviously has excellent taste in music)

I've met the lady in question - an American living in the UK and really nice. A massive Bowie fan, hence her user named derived from one of the very best songs 'ever' (well, at the very least the song that 'made me a music fan' a long long time ago.)

'It's a god-awful small affair, to the girl with the mousy hair' (D.Bowie, 1971)

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 19:27 

MCGlentworth wrote:
morganalefay wrote:
The fan who calls herself 'girlwithmousyhair' (who obviously has excellent taste in music)

I've met the lady in question - an American living in the UK and really nice. A massive Bowie fan, hence her user named derived from one of the very best songs 'ever' (well, at the very least the song that 'made me a music fan' a long long time ago.)

'It's a god-awful small affair, to the girl with the mousy hair' (D.Bowie, 1971)

there you go showing your age martin ;) :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 01:00 
Site Admin

Free Keane gig tonight at the 229 Club, right next to Great portland Street underground station and less than twenty minutes walk from Kings Cross station (yes, it's that 23.30 'last train' for me again tonight).

The gig was for XFM radio competition winners, and I was attending courtesy of Celine from Colchester, a fellow Keane fan and also a member of this forum and regular at mesh-29's (and Scott's) gigs at The Twist.

Quite a line-up of mesh-heads present - with a special mention to Mary (Pebbles) for wearing her mesh-29 T-shirt. Other forum members present were Nicky, Fliss, Heather, Chris (Flynn) and Kerry ('Naily' as opposed to the more familiar -to most in these parts - Disco Biscuit), plus definite mesh fans Rebecca and Sam. Quite a few other Keane fans asked me about mesh-29, so hopefully there could be further 'converts' in the pipeline?

Keane (as ever) played an excellent set, with personal highlights being 'Perfect Symmetry', 'Everybody's Changing' and the (new for me) acoustic version of 'Bend and Break'. New bassist (and multi-instrumentalist) Jesse Quin seems almost 'part of the furniture' now.

Despite being fairly near the front, I didn't bother with photos, as Fliss (and I assume Nicky) seeemed to be doing good work in this respect. Hopefully they'll post a selection of their photos when they get chance.

The only downside was the seemingly interminable (actually 'only' 2 hours) time interval from 'doors' to the time that Keane came on stage with no support other than a very 'erratic' 'DJ set'. What a waste of time - I could have strongly recommended a certain band (whether in 2, 3 or 4 piece configuration) to play a 30-45 minute set as support for this gig. With a respectable number of 'mesh-hardcore' in the audience they'd have been guaranteed a rousing reception too!!

Many thanks again to Celine for making it possible for me to be there tonight.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 20:42 
Site Admin

Headed up to London this afternoon to see Tom Chaplin 'busking' in aid of the Crisis homeless charity. Only four songs (Is It Any Wonder?, Somewhere Only We Know, Bend And Break and The Lovers Are Losing), but very worthwhile to see the singer of a band I've followed for over 5 years now perform in a totally different live context.

A couple of photos..

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 13:15 

Excellent, you actually got to see Tom busking! I had no chance as I had to go into my office in Epsom that day.

The XFM gig was great though. I have to say I actually enjoyed DJ Frankenstein's set - I love that remix of Perfect Symmetry, and how wrong can you go with 'Sledgehammer' and 'Mr Blue Sky'? (I'd still have preferred to see a certain band from Peterborough as the support though ... maybe, one day...)

As for the Keane boys, there were some real treats in the setlist, including you Don't See Me (with Jesse on bongos) which sounded absolutely gorgeous, and I was more impressed by Strangers than I expected to be with Jesse strumming Tom's Martin (unless he has an identical Martin) and Rich on bongos (it was the only time I could see Rich, he was completely obscured by his cymbals the rest of the time). And I don't care how many times I've heard it, live is the only answer for Everybody's Changing, because I really don't like the recorded version - I always have the urge to slap Tom about the head with a wet fish and tell him to stop bl**dy whining and sing because he always belts it out live, and it sounds much better. Interestingly, they played almost nothing off Under The Iron Sea other than IIs It Any Wonder? This is not a good thing, because I am still badly missing Hamburg Song and Leaving So Soon?, I love Atlantic, and you can't have Frog Prince too often. At least we didn't have to put up with Crystal Ball, I suppose.

The comment about being miles better live applies in spades to You Haven't Told Me Anything, which absolutely rocked, with Jesse and his big drum, that fabulously sexy guitar riff which defines the song in a way that it really doesn't on the recorded version, and best of all, the bridge where Tim does his magnificent 80s beepy synth thang (and lots of funky dancing).When Tim was playing the Korg and facing the audience, I really got a feeling of him and Tom working together, particularly with the amount of backing vocals he was singing.

I was quite relieved that they didn't feel the need to do any cheesy Christmas covers as I'd rather hear their songs when the set's only going to be an hour and five. They did save the best till last, with Tom's solo acoustic Bend & Break (despite me offering up a silent prayer that it would be Frog Prince). What a way to end the year. I'm still grinning.

Pics.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 14:51 

I went to Liverpool Arena on Saturday to see Keane. :) I was finding it a little hard to raise enthusiasm, but they put on a very good show. :) No pictures I'm afraid. :oops: I'm rubbish with a camera, but there are lots on the Keane Board, also links to U Tube videos :)

They were given an amazing reception. Tom seemed somewhat over-awed with it (or does he always say that!) :lol: It was lovely to hear "Sunshine", one of my all time favourites, and "Try Again". Tom also sang what is apparently a Beatles song "Golden Slumbers"(?) A very short version, but very lovely all the same. :) They did an encore of three songs, and finished with "Bedshaped" everyone singing along. :)

It was good to touch base with the die hard fans who had queued for hours in the very cold wind. (Shelley, Nicky, Carolyn, Lesley, Sue etc.). For those who havent been to Liverpool Arena, it is smaller than MEN, and in my opinion much nicer for that. :) There was an amazing atmosphere, and a brilliant evenings entertainment. :D

Diana :)
xx

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 20:15 

I shall aim to provide photos when I go to the 02 on Friday (though I am really not looking forward to 'Bunfight at the 02', I hate big arena gigs Image).

You liking the new stuff more then, Diana? I PM'd a disgruntled fan called Jim who doesn't like PS and was asking for recommendations for other music. No prizes for guessing what I sent him links to ....

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 17:55 

I went to see Keane on Friday at Sheffield Arena and was surprised it was not sold out. All the rear upper seats were curtained off and it was not that busy down at the front standing. First time I've seen them live and I thought they were really good, particularly enjoyed when Tom left the main stage and went to the smaller stage, just him and an acoustic guitar and his voice filled the arena. Annoyed that one or two started chatting during the acoustic songs but it seems to happen more and more these days, it's just bad manners and a lack of respect for the artists themselves and all the fans that have paid money to see them.

Nice bit of Karma though as the woman chattering left the arena on a stretcher. She was drinking coke while her partner (husband/boyfriend?) was drinking beer so I assume she was slipping something in it and had brought her own alcohol. She was jumping up and down during the livelier songs, nearly bumping into everyone and then started chatting loudly during the acoustic songs. She then fell asleep on the barrier at the end of the show and collapsed, forcing paramedics to struggle to pick her up and she left asleep face down on a stretcher. What an embarrassment and I commented that she was a disgrace as they wheeled her past us. She was drunk as a skunk and her fella was very embarrassed.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 10:00 

I saw Keane at brighton and it was brilliant, seeing keane tonight and tomorrow too which will be great. can't wait.
I will post pictures when i get back either saturday or sunday.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2009, 22:56 

Opps sorry i never put the photos up did i, really sorry, i completely forgot about it.
There is a keane gig on the 30th may, tickets are £37.50.
I can't wait to see them again. I think i will take a copy of Secret Traffic to try and give to the guys and see what the guys say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next