mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 20 Aug 2022, 07:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sigur Rós
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 22:33 
Site Admin

Although he was very much "pushing at an open door" (I've been a closet fan for years without actually getting around to buying any of their music) I've got to thank Scott for finally opening my ears (and heart) to this incredible Icelandic band.

I've even actually seen them play live (albeit from quite a distance) - at Radiohead's near legendary hometown Oxford South Park gig back in July 2001. http://www.drownedinsound.com/event/view/166 I enjoyed but, for whatever reason, never really investigated further.

Anyway, better late than never. I've now bought their new album 'með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust' as well as the highly rated 'Takk'. Their music won't be to everyone's taste - that's for sure, but I've got the feeling that I've now heard my second favourite album of 2008.

I’m not going to try and write another description of the majestic Ára Bátur (all 8 minutes 57 seconds of it), so will just quote myself. I may have been a bit ‘under the influence of beer’ when I posted this, but I still feel the same way…

MCGlentworth wrote:
Ára Bátur is utterly magnificent. Never heard anything quite like it before. Talk about 'blurring the musical boundaries'. Towards the end (just when you're thinking this can't possibly get better) it just keeps on building 'onwards and upwards' heading somewhere into the stratosphere, and maybe beyond. Or something. Wow.

"So very proud"

Post subject: Re: Sigur Rós
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2008, 11:46 

Anyone that knows me knows that I am in love with this band. The first time I heard Sigur Ros, I put 'Takk' on in my car, and I remember genuinely not wanting my journey to end, I was listening to this incredibly moving cd and just driving around. I was looking around at everything outside and just listening intently. It really moved me so much. I guess that sounds silly. But this band have just inspired me to want to be so much better, well at everything pretty much! And like Martin says, the new album is absolutely as brilliant as their back catalogue. You'd be hard pressed to find another song as beautiful as 'Fljotavik'.

Martin I'd say your next Sigur Ros purchase has to be "Heima" (you're welcome to borrow it off me but the packaging is so beautiful you'll probably want your own!), a beautifully shot film/documentary about the band. There's also a cd to accompany the dvd called "Hvarf/Heim". Then I'd go for the album "( )" It's untitled, and has no tracklisting (how cool is that?!) but is great!

Stunning band. Roll on November for the live show.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2008, 12:37 
Site Admin

Thanks for the further recommendations Scott. Just done a quick 'raid' on both HMV and Amazon and picked up Heima, Heim: Hvarf, ( ), Agaetis Byrjun, Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do - all for less than £30 in total.

I'm also greatly looking forward to the November show - many thanks for sorting out the tickets.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 09:57 

Awesome! You're gonna love them...great artwork to all of them too..

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 14:13 
Site Admin

I'm in total awe of this band's music. Really has to be some of the finest ever written. Been listening to their albums pretty much solidly all weekend.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 18:18 

Yep - I was listening to them all day on Thursday. Amazing stuff.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2008, 16:45 
Site Admin

Been meaning to post in here for a bit. Now Sigur Rós wouldn't be my choice of listening but when I was at Martins last time, whichever jaunt that was, their music was on. Couldn't tell you what it was I was listening to, but I enjoyed it. Basically it reminded me of soundtrack music, especially that of Murray Gold who does the music for Dr Who. You don't really think about it, but it's there, it seeps in and it fits. See I'm moving into all sorts of tunes, even got some of 'em on my I-pod!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 22:32 
Site Admin

I've had a Sigur Rós evening tonight. Takk and now on ( ). Just beautiful.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 00:56 
Site Admin

Last night at Alexandra Palace was at once "one of the best and one of the worst" gigs I've ever been too.

All the accolades are due (not unexpectedly) to the four guys on stage, who produced just the most amazing, ethereal, musical soundscapes from their many and varied instruments and Jonsi's incredible voice. It's hard to restrain the enthusiasm - these guys are most definitely musical genii.

Which, of course, is nothing less than wonderful. Until you realise that in an audience of 8,000 (?) there are statistically bound to be a high percentage of morons. And our 'select company' must have had 'moron attraction beacons' somehow affixed to our heads (given the ill-educated, badly brought up "mind(sic)sets" of the chavish lowlifes we seemed to be cursed with wherever we stood).

Surely Sigur Ros (of all bands) are a 'thinking person's band'. So why did the intellectually challenged (but presumably quite 'well-off') people think (in so far as they are capable of such mental agility, which is probably not very much) that it made sense to spend approx £30 (and then £3.50 a pint for American 'rice-beer') to go and watch a band, only to spew forth such absolute inane verbal diarrhoea (varying from the obnoxious to the ignorant) all night between themselves (and this was 'man to man' as well as 'boyfriend and girlfriend' stuff). For f*cks sake if you want to chat with your friend all night go to a f*cking pub!! (but preferably not one I'm drinking in).

I'd better stop ranting. Sigur Ros are undoubtedly musicans of the highest possible talent and accomplishment. I did enjoy it massively. But it could have been so much better if only certain members of the audience had been taken out and shot. And I'd have happily pulled the trigger.

Scott, over to you mate! Oh, and please get Rob to sign up here. His ranting would no doubt be even more passionate than mine.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 10:14 

Martin,I'm so sorry to hear that your enjoyment was impaired (to put it mildly) by some of those in the crowd. :( It's so disappointing when you have paid good money, and are anticipating a great evening, to have it spoilt by those who seem to go just to drink and chat. As you say, why don't they just go to a pub! :roll: It has even happened at times when Keane have performed. :x A shame for Scott too! :( Hopefully it's a "one off". I'm sure Mesh fans behave so much better, and are more respectful of the Band and their music. :)

Diana :)
xx

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2008, 11:33 

Sorry I'm a bit late on this, Martin I think you summed it up perfectly. I was so gutted for you and Rob that you basically saw an amazing performance ruined by idiots and dare I say the wrong choice of venue. I actually read on the Sigur Ros forum that someone spoke to Jonsi and he wasn't very happy with it either. We will go and see them again and it will be a lot better! I think in some songs they did miss the brass and strings, but I suppose it's fair enough because they announced long before the tour that they wouldn't have them. The band couldn't have done anymore, Jonsi's voice is still one of the most beautiful thing's I've ever heard. Was gutted they didn't play Glosoli :( Apparently they haven't been playing it, but a lot of people on their forum have been asking why. Anyway the next night they played it! Gutted. I honestly think they'll know it wasn't the best choice of place and rectify it for the next tour.