mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 16 Aug 2022, 17:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Michael Jackson.
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 14:29 

I was so very sorry to hear of the sudden death of Michael Jackson, last night. :( I was'nt a tremendous fan, although I did like "Thriller", and I have a lovely song on my music player, recorded when he was very young, called "One Day in your Life" :)

I never saw him perform. my sympathies are with his family and friends, and all his millions of fans. He will be remembered for a very long time. :)

Diana
:) xx

Post subject: Re: Michael Jackson.
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 15:42 
Site Admin

I'm sorry that he's died, and am even more sorry for his family, friends and fans.

Other than another early song ('Ben') I can't think of a single song of his that I liked though. I don't have of his cds (or even mp3s) and this situation isn't likely to change as part of the current 'vast outpouring of global grief'.

I know that this isn't particularly tactful at the present time, but I'd class him as having been an "over-rated has-been".

RIP Michael, you'll be missed. But not by me.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 17:24 

I'm firmly in the 'he was a musical genius' camp as I think a lot of his earlier stuff was brilliant and he was a fantastic singer, though he did rather go off in recent years. Just to single one out, 'Billie Jean' is an amazing song.

It's very sad that he may largely be remembered for the weirdness rather than his talent; being thrust into the limelight at an early age has rarely caused anyone to grow up to be normal and well-adjusted.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 09:36 
Site Admin

morganalefay wrote:
It's very sad that he may largely be remembered for the weirdness rather than his talent; being thrust into the limelight at an early age has rarely caused anyone to grow up to be normal and well-adjusted.

Couldn't have put it better Fliss. It's very much a shame that his personal life will overshadow his music contribution. Which is supported by the amount of jokes I had on my mobile yesterday about the whole thing.

I'm also with you on the fact that I preferred his earlier music rather than the later tunes where he developed a social concious and seemed to preach to us all. Anyway despite all that, condolences to his family, friends and his extremely loyal army of devoted fans and may Michael find some peace wherever he is now.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 13:07 

Michael Jackson changed music, changed the world and I will miss him dearly. I've heard a few people say everyone's being melodramatic about his passing. I find this strange. For me, he has always been in my life, for 26 years, an inspiration, and I'm so sad that he is gone. I wish so much that he wasn't. We will never see another like him. He was a once in a lifetime genius.

I wrote a blog about what MJ meant to me and my bandmate's over at http://www.myspace.com/caffeineuk

I've read some negative MJ comments over the last few days (most of the world is sad though), the only thing I could say is I honestly feel sorry for anyone who didn't understand the genius. Anyone who doesn't get goosebumps all over from 'Man In The Mirror'. Anyone who doesn't listen to the middle 8 of 'Smooth Criminal' and want to dance round the room like an idiot. You've missed out on the most incredible world of music. There's so many songs I could list here that are all very deceptively simple songs that are incredible! The bass line to 'I Want You Back' is insanely hard, the chord changes in 'Thriller' are insanely clever. His vocal performance's are so beyond what anyone is achieving nowadays it's frightening.

RIP Michael Jackson, you were the world's greatest in my lifetime, and no amount of bad press can take that away from you.

Scott

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 14:11 

Awww yeah, absolutely with Scott on that one. He was a national treasure. I remember Mezza playing 'HIStory' to me for the 1st time and waiting for my next birthday to get it. Mezz used to have a lot of the moves down and we used to sing 'You Are Not Alone' down the local park at night when no-one was around at the tops of our voices. Probably my fondest memories of my later childhood.

He was a giant part of what even started me and Mezz writing. I've got to say that Martin's comment of 'over-rated has-been' was not only pretty insensitive but absolutely absurd. Whether you're a fan or not, it'd be on the same lines as saying, David Bowie had no style, The Beatles couldn't write a song or Bob Dylan wasn't a poet.

I'm not arguing a 'for or against.' Evidently for whatever reasons he was a total weirdo but he was a musical genius that undoubtedly changed pop music forever and to suggest otherwise would be more than quietly naive.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 14:56 

As I've posted elsewhere this week I can acknowledge his impact on people and the music industry etc but I'm afraid he didn't do it for me. I've done my usual "listen again" to Radio 2 stuff today and there's inevitably been a lot of his music played - I still didn't "get it". I grew up in his era but like many good artists before him - and many since - he just didn't get me bopping. No idea why - just how it is - we're all different.

I don't own any of his music which says a lot for me really as I bought quite a lot singles in my youth.

I feel sorry for his family and those that knew or loved him for his music abilities. 50 is a very young age to die these days - normally I would say he had so much life to live but he has looked a very ill man - even at the press conference, when he announced his gigs, earlier in the year that his death didn't really surprise me - maybe the timing but not the outcome (I know we all die but he was never going to live to 80+).

For a lot of people it will feel like a part of their own youth has gone with the latest events - as Scott said he was part of his growing up - always there - almost a security thing. I have bands I feel the same about and was gutted when one of them split up - part of my lifestyle had gone in a way. Fortunately none of my personal musical heroes have died - although a few lifestyles might edge them there sooner than their 3 score years and 10!

Our own lifestyles shape how we see and hear the world around us - as much as the world around us shapes our lifestyles - so that might be why I'm a bit hardened to all the Michael Jackson media frenzy at the moment. I hope he has peace where he is now because it appeared, from a very long distance, that he didn't have much in recent life.

Again, like many before him he was a talented person who went over the edge of what is considered "normal" by a lot of people - add to the list the likes of Paul Gascoigne in the football world, Shane Macgowan and Amy Winehouse and many many more.

I wasn't a fan of Michael Jackson - so won't miss his music - but I can appreciate his musical legacy.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 16:54 

Surreal Janice Long/Michael Jackson moment.

I often randomly click and "listen again" at the weekends (or listen for the first time in my case!). The first show I listened to was Thursday/Friday's - so she's talking about the fact he's died.

The one I've got on now is Tuesday's/Wednesday's and she's talking about the fact that more tickets are being made available for his gigs at the O2. :( Just seemed very bizarre.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 17:34 
Site Admin

Shielsie! wrote:
I've got to say that Martin's comment of 'over-rated has-been' was not only pretty insensitive but absolutely absurd. Whether you're a fan or not, it'd be on the same lines as saying, David Bowie had no style, The Beatles couldn't write a song or Bob Dylan wasn't a poet.

I'm not arguing a 'for or against.' Evidently for whatever reasons he was a total weirdo but he was a musical genius that undoubtedly changed pop music forever and to suggest otherwise would be more than quietly naive.

Apologies for the offence taken, but it would be a shame if it wasn't possible to express an opinion here, no matter how 'absurd' it might appear to others.

Has anyone else noticed that the greatest sense of loss (and not just on this forum) about MJ's passing does seem to be amongst those aged between 20 and 30ish? - this certainly applies in the office where I work. I've yet to find anyone of my sort of age who's particularly upset - even amongst those who appreciated his music much more than I did.

I was too young to be particularly upset, or to appreciate the significance, when Elvis died (although I do remember it well). I was upset (although obviously not at all surprised) when Freddie Mercury passed away. I'll obviously be in mourning when Bowie shuffles off this mortal coil.

Hopefully all the musicians I admire these days will outlive me by a very considerable margin.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 18:26 

MCGlentworth wrote:
Hopefully all the musicians I admire these days will outlive me by a very considerable margin.

Good grief - no disrespect to a lot of the musicians I like but some of them are considerably older than me already :wink:

Company of this board completely excepted of course :) !

What I do think though is this is the first big music death in the age of the internet. Everyone is immediately connected and boards like this allow everyone to express their opinions instantly. When Elvis Presley died you were lucky if you got it in the next day's paper! John Lennon's shocked me the most - not because I liked his music much more than Michael Jackson's but because of the brutality of it.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 20:16 
Site Admin

poppiesfan wrote:
What I do think though is this is the first big music death in the age of the internet. Everyone is immediately connected and boards like this allow everyone to express their opinions instantly.

Good point Well Made.

I've said enough on this subject now. Sorry for 'intruding' in any way on the sorrow of those who loved MJ's music.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2009, 10:12 

Interesting views here. Of course you're allowed to express your opinion Martin, would be a boring world if we couldn't! I think however in death, you have to be a lot more diplomatic and timely with your opinion (not just you, I mean in general).

For example, if a hero of yours passed away, and I came on here within a day of them dying and said he was an over-rated has-been and I won't miss him, it would offend you. It's not the opinion anyone objects too, like I said would be a sad place if people weren't allowed a say and of course that's what these forum's are for. But that's what we do as people, when I love something I will shout it out, spread the love and be grateful for what they've given me personally. If I don't like things, I will try and keep it to myself the best I can, even though I know it's hard sometimes!

I for the record don't think over rated people sell 109 million copies of one album, but that's just me. I think you're absolutely spot on with the age thing, the only exception was my Dad, who I watching the news with when we found out. And he wasn't as upset as me, but he said 'he's been a big part of my life too'. We were pretty shocked. It's a sad day when ANYONE dies at 50 and leaves 3 children without a Father.

And poppies fan you're definitely right about the security thing, I never imagined a world without MJ. It never occured to me!

I honestly feel when the world throws up a gem of an artist, someone who ISN'T like us normal people (the old phrase 'they're just people like you and me doesn't ring true sometimes'), we have to be grateful and thank them in tribute for everything they've given the world. I know it sounds so corny but that's how I feel.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2009, 20:02 

I have to admit, i am not overly keen on MJ but he is alright, I wasn't really shocked to hear about his death but it was sad.
I did like some of his song but not that many.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2009, 20:56 

You never imagine a world without the ones you love or care for until they are no longer here - just cherish them while they are here on this earth.

On the way home tonight I heard a record by one of my childhood heroes - it sent tingles down my spine and instantly transported me back to that precise moment in my life - my comfort music if you like. We all have our musical "security" - just enjoy it while it's here. Life can change in an instant for artist or listener alike.

Blimey - I'm rambling a bit now - can tell I've had my head stuck in a few books for my assignment tonight :oops:

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2009, 22:28 
Site Admin

In a way I'm kind of glad I was at a festival most this weekend and fairly out of the whole MJ loop. It's given me the chance to put together exactly what I feel about the entire episode without being swayed by the media.

I'll admit I did take a sharp breathe in when I read your opinion of him Martin, not because I think it's wrong (free speech, everyone is entitled to their opinion etc), but for the timing of it, and knowing the army of fans MJ has, it was a brave statement to make. In fact part of me admires that of you, because you're not afraid to stand by your beliefs.

Anyway, I spent Saturday with a friend who is much more of an MJ fan than I ever was. She was, and no doubt will be for a while yet, grieving. As we travelled into Hull, we had his music on the car and he got discussed at great length. After revisiting his music on that journey I have to say I didn't realise how much I enjoyed his music but y'know I really do. The thing with music, any music, it's not whether they're critically acclaimed or won lots of awards. It's how it makes you feel. Even dodgy one hit wonder summer tunes that the following year you cringe at. At the time, they were the best thing ever and that's all that matters. Fortunately MJ's music has lasted and will no doubt continue to do so.

Regardless of all the controversy surrounding his life, he has died younger than his years and leaving three young children without a father is a sad thing to happen to anyone. I just hope all the post death arrangements are all done with some kind of dignity and doesn't turn into a bun fight for vultures.