mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 16 Aug 2022, 17:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rufus Wainwright!
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2009, 19:44 

No-one ever talks about Rufus Wainwright on here! :cry: I think he does'nt quite "hit the spot" for most of the Boardies, although I know he has one fan here. :)

Anyway, I went to see his opera "Prima Donna" last Friday in Manchester. :) As it was my very first opera, I'm not really qualified to say how good, or otherwise it was. :) However, I enjoyed the "soaring melodies" (as the flyers described them) and was impressed that Rufus (dressed as Verdi) and his family sat in the stalls with the rest of us, easily accessible to have a chat with. :)
Also exciting was the fact that Rufus gave a short (1 hour) performance of his back catalogue, in a marquee in Albert Square on the Sunday, as a "thank you" to his fans. :)

People from his Message Board had flown in from all over the world to see the opera, and many of them got to see the free performance too. :) From the first line of "Vibrate" to the last line of "Hallelujah" we were away (and it was'nt the wine - honest!) :lol: Rufus and his Mother sang a duet "Talk to me of Mendocino", which was lovely to see. :)

A brilliant weekend - a welcome change from domesticity and the television! :)

Diana :)
xx

Post subject: Re: Rufus Wainwright!
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 11:01 
Site Admin

To be honest, although I always respected him as a songwriter and a musician, I didn't use to like Rufus as a singer at all!

I think this mainly arose from seeing him support Keane on several nights of a European tour back in 2005(?) which at the time was definitely 'overkill'. Then I had to endure two American friends with whom I went on a "road trip" for Keane's three dates in Texas (also in 2005) playing two of his albums ('Want One' and 'Want Two') almost continuously during the long road journeys! There was definitely something about his vocal delivery back then that really put me off.

Although I still find his voice very unusual, and not entirely to my taste, I think the turning point was his single 'Going To A Town', which I found extremely pleasant on the ear. Thanks to Diana I've been able to listen to the rest of the album 'Release The Stars' and it's definitely a fine piece of work.

I've recently heard Rufus being interviewed on the Jonathan Ross Radio 2 show and he was certainly an extremely entertaining guest. He was talking about his latest project, the opera mentioned by Diana. My parents are both opera lovers and, like Rufus, are great admirers of the composer Verdi - so there's a sort of family connection there.

"So very proud"

Post subject: Re: Rufus Wainwright!
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 18:27 

OooH! I'm thrilled to hear you say that Martin :) I try not to rave about Rufus, but it's not easy! :lol: There have been very mixed reviews in the papers, some of them very harsh, other not so bad, even admiring. :) Im my opinion, Rufus is very underestimated as a singer/songwriter. Critics love to have a go at him for his rather uncoventional background and life. :( I admit he is an acquired taste (one which I have certainly acquired) and one of the things I admire about him, is the time and trouble he takes to meet his fans, after the shows. :) He has said many times how much he appreciates the support he gets in the UK. :)

He has said his next album will be just him and his piano. I'm really looking forward to that! :D

Diana :)
xx