mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 20 Aug 2022, 06:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reverend and The Makers
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 21:42 
Site Admin

Reverend and the Makers - Sheffield O2 Academy 24 October 2009

As Emma and I wanted our spot hung over the barrier we were queuing early in the icy cold wind, which typically turned to rain as soon as the staff informed us that there would be a delay on the doors due a technical problem. Eventually we got in and secured our spot, very near the centre. Cool! The first support on I really didn't like at all. I'm guessing they were local as we were surrounded by bouncing screaming teenagers. It just sounded like crashing noise to me, the only thing that kept my interest was the outline of the drummer who, with hair flying all over, reminded me of Animal from The Muppets. I say outline 'cos not once did they turn the stage lights up to something reasonable so we could see them. So basically they were a crash in the darkness.

Second was an indie band from Australia called Yves Klein Blue. These I preferred, but it seemed as I was in the minority as most of the crowd talked through their set. The lead singer, with his Elvis-like quiff, tried to smile his way through it and I reckon they pulled off a damn good set.

So as the crowd got more rowdy, we waited for the Reverend. They're been on my wish list since the year dot. Their original guitarist was a member of Gledhill and another soloist I used to see regularly, Tim Pare, drove their tour bus for a while when they first started. So for me it was like a lil' trip back in time to my formative days of gigging. Anyway, Jon McClure is a man who walks in a room and owns it. From the second he and the Makers walked on stage the crowd was bouncing, singing and cheering. He's a brilliant frontman and commands a great response from the crowd with his gestures. The security were very prompt at removing people who tried to crowd surf, and despite a spot of fighting further back, it was all harmless.

As this tour coincides with the recent release of their second album 'A French Kiss in the Chaos' obviously the set reflected this. Although the old favourites from 'The State of Things' got more of a response from the crowd. You sing along to the ones you know basically. Although Jon didn't include my favourite 'What the Milkman Saw' I was still shouting and bouncing about with the best of 'em. No set list for me to bring home this time, Jon screwed it up near the end and threw it further back in the crowd, although I did manage to get my mitts on his towel when he threw that out.

As is now a staple of Reverend gigs, Jon gestured the crowd outside to a follow up acoustic performance. By the time we'd weaved our way out, we still got treated to three more songs. Although he must have been out there at least 20 minutes. It was a bit of a shame we couldn't hear what he was singing though due to much talking and the still raging wind. It was still good to see first hand though, especially after hearing about it.

Well, even though I'm still extremely sore, and will no doubt develop bruises in places I didn't know I had, I absolutely loved it on Saturday. I've had a week of terrible news and to be able to forget all that for a lil' bit with the help of the Reverend was much needed. Amen to that!