mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 16 Aug 2022, 18:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Race Horses
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2010, 11:49 
Site Admin

I went to see Fanfarlo play at Bristol Thekla the other week and was massively impressed by the opening band - a young band from Wales called Race Horses.

I'd booked for two more gigs (Leeds and U.L.U.) on Fanfarlo's tour, so was very happy that this meant that I would be seeing Race Horses twice more (not always the case with support bands!)

I bought their album 'Goodbye Falkenburg' at the Bristol gig and have hardly stopped listening to it since!

I saw my first headline set at Nottingham Bodega last night and was even more impressed. I'm now going to their gigs in places as diverse as Sheffield, Wolverhampton, Glossop, Canterbury, Coventry, Edinburgh and Glasgow! A proper tour of proper venues.

http://www.myspace.com/racehorsesmusic

Here's some of the reviews of their amazing album:-

"Goodbye Falkenburg is an utterly entertaining trip” MOJO

“cut from the same gonzoid pop cloth as Super Furry Animals, full of psych rock & Beatles soaked harmonies” Q MAGAZINE

“colliery band parps, early Of-Montreal jangle, pastoral melancholy and what sounds like Beirut captaining a pirate ship maintain their standing as purveyors of mighty fine singles” NME

“a wilfully zany debut with mischievous spirit that's hard to dislike” UNCUT

“Goodbye Falkenberg is an off-kilter masterpiece, irrerverant, unadulterated and well worth a listen”. DROWNED IN SOUND 8/10 "

A 13 track joyride, it hurts psychedelia, White Album Beatles, glam-rock, electro, barbershop, tropicalia, chamber pop and post-rock into the mix. The result is a beserk and brilliant record" SUNDAY TIMES CULTURE (Breaking Act)

“Wholly original and genuinely exciting” MUSIC FIX 9/10 “Goodbye Falkenberg is a startlingly good first impression” CLASH MAGAZINE 7/10

"Goodbye Falkenburg’, the quartet prove that they are quite versatile, writing brilliant pop songs with plenty of quirkiness included. The future looks bright for this lot, make no mistake" THIS IS FAKE DIY 8/10

“With darkly humorous lyrics, handclaps galore, huge orchestral arrangements and choral parts – debut album Goodbye Falkenburg is sure to be a highlight of the year” NARC Ones To Watch

“Race Horses have just gone and made your all time favourite debut” SHINDIG

"While it's easy to see why this Welsh four-piece have been compared to Gorkys Zygotic Mynci, this fast paced set is delivered with such force that theri wonky pop songs take on the gritty backbone of 60's garage. Complex four part harmonies give them the air of a creepy barbershop quartet, while a self guitar ode to Glenn Millar's "Pennsylvania 6-5000" leads into an operatic solo with the confidence of a backwater "Bohemian Rhapsody". Race Horses are fearless experimenters and the fast-slow-fast-again approach keep the audience shouting and dancing till the feedback fades" NME (live review)

"It's not just a willingness to sing in their native tongue or the waft of jazz cigarettes that puts Aberystwyth's Race Horses on a similar footing to Super Furry Animals. Like that band, Race Horses have a talent for multi-coloured, gonzoid indie pop that's as ambitious as it is catchy. And like The Coral or British Sea Power at their most unhinged, R H's crooked, breezily psychedelic tunes are informed by the foursome's rejection of "reality, realism and music and words that are too literal" Still, debut single "Cake" has double meaning. As loopy as its cover - a collage of trifles, sea anemones, fried eggs and an Egyptian pyramid - its not a naughty reference to the "drug" made notorious tby Brass Eye, but a chugging, hand-clapping celebration of the joys of baking. Fun but not twee, it bodes well for their forthcoming album Goodbye Falkenburg" METRO (Ones To Watch

"So very proud"

Post subject: Re: Race Horses
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 18:43 

I just watched their video for "Cake". It seemed reminiscent of some Bands that were around in the 60's :oops: :) However, I can't remember which one(s) it reminds me of. :)

Diana :)
xx