mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 16 Aug 2022, 17:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Duke Special
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 22:49 
Site Admin

Wow! Sound like a very unique experience. You're a very lucky missus you are.

poppiesfan wrote:
Talking to a few others pre event Mesh-29's name came up and a couple have said they'll give you a Google guys!

I don't why but Googling the lads just makes me laugh. :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 00:25 
Site Admin

I'm "late to the party" as regards Duke's current tour, as Scott & Chris have already been to gigs over the last few days!

In the very fine company of Fliss and Tony (and Fliss' friend from 'Delays World'), I've tonight been to Duke's gig at the Scala - conveniently located very close to Kings Cross station, so no worries about missing the last train north (which I'm currently on) which leaves at 23.30!

The gig was opened by Duke's regular percussionist 'Temperance Society' Chip Bailey, accompanied by Bob Bowles on acoustic & electric guitar & ukelele. As might be expected from the most entertaining percussionist in the land, this was a very enjoyable set ('Stumpfy goes to Bognor' was pure genius!), and his mate Bob had quite a decent voice too.

I was very pleasantly surprised by main support 'Foreign Slippers'. It's no great secret on here that I don't normally enthuse over female vocalists, but this girl was definitely talented and I thought her songs were very good too. She was sporting the most amazing 'hat', apparently made by her own fair hands - seemingly of twigs, berries and stuffed birds!! Hopefully Fliss will have a picture.

Duke himself,of course, didn't disappoint. He and his band (electric guitar, upright/electric bass and drums) played a very different type of set to that which we enjoyed on the January tour, including three very interesting songs from the 'Hector Mann' cycle. Duke is such a natural showman - and the variety of ways in which the songs are performed over different tours (and even nights in a tour) can only add to the interest.

I ddn't write down the set-list, but it was as varied and extensive as ever, and even after the 23.00pm curfew had passed Duke (and full band/guest musicians, including upright bass and 'stumpf-fiddle') were in the middle of the audience playing an acoustic sea-shanty!!

That's entertainment!

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 09:34 

Yeah he was great in Derby :D Would give anything to support him!

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 19:07 

Scott McEwan wrote:
Yeah he was great in Derby :D Would give anything to support him!

How the heck did I miss you there?!

I stood about half way back mind you. Having 4 gigs in 3 days (with another 2 to come) I thought I'd better be kind to my ears!

If I stood next to you and ignored you I do apologise :oops:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 12:49 

Ah didn't see you! Would've said hello, yeah it was pretty loud! We were pretty near the front, was a great gig!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 23:21 

Yes, I've got pics! I've been poking around on the Duke forum for a setlist but nothing doing. There was certainly a goodly selection from 'Songs from the Deep Forest' as well as most of 'I Never Thought This Day Would Come', three of the Hector Mann songs (Tony was very happy to hear 'The Jockey Club' again - but then he grinned like a loony all the way through the gig) 'Our Love Goes Deeper Than This' and the audience-participation sea shanty at the end. But I'm getting ahead of myself ...

Chip

And Bob

Well they were a pair of nutters and no mistake, with their array of bizarre instruments (I do like to see a man playing the ukelele, it only has four strings and therefore must be a bit like playing bass, or possibly the violin. Well, not quite like the violin. More like the banjo. Get on with it - Ed) ) One of the highlights of their set was a song about not seeing Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970, complete with impressive Hendrix impressions, though it did seem a bit like they were making it up as they went along. Maybe they were. As Martin said, 'Stumpy Goes to Bognor' was another highlight - a hilarious oompah instrumental which I've now got on CD, where it's preceded by a bonkers poem called 'Stumpy's Angst'.

As Martin (surprisingly) said, Gabi 'Foreign Slippers' Froden was a real treat. She has a really beautiful voice, switched effortlessly between the guitar and the piano and wonderful dark, swoony songs. I tracked it back to the merch stand at the end to pick up her EP, complete with hand-painted artwork and tied up with a piece of black lace. Great hat too which, as she said, she made herself (I bet she made that amazing dress, too, you'd never find anything like that in the shops).

And the Duke didn't disappoint, heading straight into 'Oh River'.

I've seen him four times now and each time he had a different line-up of backing musicians, which means you always get slightly different versions of the songs. I approve of this kind of mixing it up.

Surely there must be some kind of 'sun shining out of' joke to be had here?

One of the nicest things about a Duke gig is the way you just can't get rid of him at the end. I've never seen anyone do so many encores. This time it was 'everyone into the middle' for a big singalong-a sea shanty, with everyone who had taken part in the gig including Chip, Bob and Ms Slippers. Marvellous

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 23:35 
Site Admin

Great photos and commentary Fliss. Just helps reinforce in my own mind what a marvellous night Tuesday was - as is the case for every single Duke gig (and that's genuinely 'without exception').

As in any musical 'community', our tastes are obviously eclectic and varied. There's quite a consensus going on about the Duke though. Chris, Fliss, Tony, Ant, Scott, Mick, myself.... (Chris Flynn too).

Trust us, he's way beyond superb.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 00:19 
Site Admin

Duke Special is one of those very few artists that pretty much every gig you go to you come away thinking that was maybe (or at least one of) the best ever. Tonight that accolade may just actually have been true – I certainly can’t bring to mind a better show.

Even before the music began the evening got off to a good start when there was a “mini mesh-forum meet-up”, with Chris (Poppiesfan) and Len (N) – together with his lovely wife Bernie also being at the gig. I’m sure Fliss would have been there too if she hadn’t been on holiday. We mesh-heads clearly have excellent taste in music. And I’m sure both Candle Thieves would have loved tonight too.

The support band, however, was a bit of a “culture shock” to many of the audience – including myself. Young, noisy, and very energetic (think ‘scissor kicks’ and all sorts of other weird poses). If the singer had been any good it might even have been entertaining. He wasn’t though. One of the songs they played was called (appropriately enough) "How Pathetic This Must Sound". Er, yes. They were called Sharks and had apparently been hand-picked by Duke himself. He’d have done far better by adding some Bears and just booking The Candle Thieves.

Thankfully their set didn’t last too long and we were left to await the main attraction. Duke was tonight accompanied by an absolutely amazing band. Ben Castle on saxophone, clarinet and one or two other wind instruments; Phil Wilkinson on drums; Simon Milne (?) on upright bass; Paul Pilot on guitar and banjo; the (masked) “Invisible Man” Mark Everett on Hammond and additional piano and last (but by no means least) the inestimable Chip Bailey on every imaginable sort of random percussion- including of course the legendary ‘stumpf-fiddle’. An incredible array of musical talent on a relatively small stage.

I think this was the setlist:-
1: I Fought The Law
2: Sweet Sweet Kisses
3: Portrait
4: These Proverbs We Made In The Winter Must End
5: Brixton Leaves
6: Digging An Early Grave
7: I Never Thought This Day Would Come (And Now It Won’t Go Away)
8: Everybody Wants A Little Something
9: Let Me Go (Please, Please,Please)
10: Salvation Tambourine
11: No Cover Up
12: Jockey Club (A Bitch Called Wanda)
13: Apple, Apples, Apples (not sure about the title of this one – all about The Garden of Eden. Another ‘Hector Mann’ song)
14: Nothing Comes Easy
15: Why Does Anybody Love?
16: Flesh and Blood Dance

Encore
17: New Song from the forthcoming play ‘Mother Courage’
18: Our Love Goes Deeper Than This
19: Last Night I Nearly Died

Just amazing.

Until you’ve been to a Duke Special show yourself you’ll probably think that Chris, Fliss and myself, plus of course Ant and Scott (and now hopefully Len and Bernie too) have just got some ‘musical bee in our collective bonnets’. Trust us, this man really is “Special” and, with the aid of his stunningly talented band, plays some of the most accomplished, varied and entertaining gigs that any genuine music fan could ever wish to see.

Mr Wilson I can only salute you!

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 19:49 

He was excellent Martin. I would rank it in one of my top 10 (maybe even 5) gigs ever. Not sure where I would put him as I don't know who I'd push out to get him in there.

As I said - having been to the football in Mansfield I did question the sanity of my decision as I sat on the train from Milton Keynes. Worth every single penny though. Heard about 20 secs of The Sharks and moved away. Never judge a book by its cover or a band by its intro but - well - they did nothing positive for me at all I'm afraid.

Duke Special is like nobody else I have ever seen or heard - long may that originality continue.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 22:13 

I went to see Mother Courage at the Olivier this afternoon. Amazing! As in most of Brecht's plays, the songs are part of the action and were generally sung by a member of the cast with vocal support from the Duke. The first scene involved Mother Courage's wagon rising up out of a massive semi-circular trapdoor on the Olivier stage, with MC herself (played by the mighty Fiona Shaw, she's not rubbish) standing on top of it singing, surrounded by an entire band, including Ben Castle and his woodwind, the Wilkinson brothers on drums and guitar, the inimitable Chip Bailey and in front, Duke himself with one of those small, portable bass drums.

Throughout the play the band would appear out of a tent or trickle up to either side of the stage, while Duke materialised as if by magic behind one of the pianos that were scattered about the stage or, one one occasion, wielding a piano-accordion. And Chip got Stumpy out at one point, prompting my friend to comment 'I bet he never thought he'd be playing Stumpy front and centre stage at the National Theatre!'

The songs ranged from rocky up-tempo numbers to 'music-hall' style and one particularly stunningly beautiful one ostenstibly sung by a Lutheran clergyman, but mostly by Duke himself, about the Crucifixion (the plot of the play concerns the Thirty Years' War which involved, among other things, Catholics vs Protestants in 17th century Europe). The Kurt Weill influence on his music was well to the fore, probably not surprising since Brecht and Weill wrote a number of musicals together. I understand there will be an album of the songs in the not too distant future.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2009, 11:19 
Site Admin

Glad that you enjoyed it Fliss - I've finally got round to booking for the play (and making hotel arrangements). I'm going on Friday 23rd October (with the aim of catching the free aftershow gig of course!).

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 01:16 
Site Admin

I went to Mother Courage at the National Theatre last night - amazing in so many ways, and not just the stunning music provided by Duke & his band both during the play and at the "after-show gig". Fiona Shaw was absolutely incredible in the title role.

Will hopefully write in more detail later.

"So very proud"

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 00:48 
Site Admin

I've been so busy at work (70+ hours 'and counting' since Friday) that I haven't really had chance to look into this 'Pledge' business, but here's a link to a Guardian article on the subject which features the mighty Duke.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... an-funding

"So very proud"