mesh29.com

Have your say on our official forum!

It is currently 16 Aug 2022, 17:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: David Ford
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 23:12 
Site Admin

David Ford was the frontman of Easyworld - a band I never "got" at the time - but whose 'Kill The Last Romantic' album I've listened to countless times since.

Since 2004, he's been carving out an idiosyncratic solo career, with little if any commercial success but to massive critical acclaim both here and in the USA. His recorded work is impressive enough, but the true Ford magic can only be found at his live shows. Last night I attended my 19th Ford show, next Wednesday will be my 20th.

There's now little doubt as to which artists will be my "most seen" in 2007 - Mesh-29 (or course) .... and David Ford!

Hopefully Kerry (Naily) will now be encouraged to post some of her stunning live Ford photos here.

http://www.myspace.com/davidford http://www.davidford.mu

"So very proud"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 23:29 

Yes Ford is a must see, he lights all my fires musically....I was never really a fan of Easyworld but his solo work is stunning and extremely intense....

A few pics from last night (well rather a lot actually)....

Hope somewhere along the line to snap Mesh!

K
x

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 23:55 
Site Admin

Stunning photos as ever Kerry. I'd love to see the photographic results of you being at a Mesh gig too (I'd hope that Adam & Ant would agree). See you for the second Ford show next Wednesday.

"So very proud"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2007, 19:09 

It's that bloody hat again. I saw him wandering around M&S in Eastbourne sporting that same hat, and every pic I've ever seen of him he's wearing it.

Annnyway...I've only heard a couple of his songs, but it's good stuff. Maybe I should make more of an effort to listen to his music since everybody raves about him, but I wouldn't know where to start. :-k

Oh, and nice shots, Kerry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 06:07 
Site Admin

Another excellent Ford gig last night in Soho (yes, the venue hosted a transexual night once the gig was over!!).

Almost qualified as a "Mesh-head meet-up" too - with Hannah and Kerry also being at the gig.

"So very proud"

Post subject: Trekstock and Thruxstock
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 15:40 
Site Admin

I'm seeing David Ford again tonight at 'Trekstock' in London tonight http://www.myspace.com/trekstock (raising money for the Teenage Cancer Trust).

Then it's on to Andover tomorrow to see Mesh-29 play at 'Thruxstock' - the Enham Charity Fundraiser

"So very proud"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 04:10 

ah some lovely on-line friends made me listen to some of his songs and I love him!! Need to listen more to him tho..

great shots Kerry!

"Balancing history books up in my head"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 22:12 
Site Admin

Ford's new single 'Decimate', released on 7" and download on 8th October - is now up on his myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... be45a657d3

It's been playlisted by Radio 2 too.

"So very proud"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 11:16 

Im really hoping for a secret gig nearish to me soon, i'm suffering withdrawals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 06:20 

Kerry.. your photos are absolutely breathtaking (as usual!!). I'm absolutely in love with David Ford's new album..and can't wait until he hits North American shores again. *Sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 19:24 
Site Admin

Seeing Ford in Northampton tomorrow night (thanks to the two people who are making this possible!)

His single 'Decimate' is out on 7" and download this week, and the album 'Songs For The Road' is released on cd next Monday.

Edit: Just heard 'Decimate' on Terry Wogan's breakfast show. Good start to the day!

Further edit: Great show last night, and great company too. Thanks for the lift Shielsie!

"So very proud"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2007, 16:06 
Site Admin

Ford's album 'Songs For The Road' is released on CD this week. Just popping out to the shops to buy it now!

If anyone's in London early Friday evening, he's playing a free instore gig at 6pm at the recently reopened FOPP near Leicester Square. I'll be there.

"So very proud"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2007, 21:49 
Site Admin

An amazing video of Ford playing 'State Of The Union' at an In The City reception in Manchester to an audience of disinterested music industry people (and a few guest-listed fans) has been posted on his forum. It's the second post by 'mikegray' that contains the link. I won't post it direct in case of any 'concerns' that might be raised.

http://www.davidford.mu/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=314

Ford is most definitely p*ssed off with the corporate audience and is not afraid to say so!

"So very proud"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 13:30 

God that has made me tingle, such a powerful performance his anger at the talking carried through the song.

Thanks for posting Martin

Kx

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 21:36 
Site Admin

"5 Star" review of Ford's Shepherd's Bush gig last Saturday from The Guardian.

David Ford can't stop swearing. The opening track of his new Songs for the Road album is titled Go to Hell. Another track, Requiem, boasts these lines: "Let us be kissed on the cheek, let us be fucked from behind." At times, it's like listening to David Gray or Tom Waits with Tourette's syndrome.

Ford's expletives seem to illustrate a burning inner fury that takes over when he sings, not the sort of thing you expect from a 29-year-old from Eastbourne. Now playing to rapturous audiences, his songs are catchy enough to be sung by anyone from Billy Joel to David Bowie if they didn't have lines like, "Go fuck thy neighbour." Between songs, he's polite enough to be taken home to meet anybody's mum (perhaps with a fiver for the swearbox). But, in the crowded singer-songwriter genre, the former Easyworld singer has real and thrilling edge. "This is a song about greed and politics and war and power, where we've been and where we're going," he announces, vocal rasp blistering into State of the Union.

Ford has certainly made giant steps since his 2005 debut, I Sincerely Apologise for All the Trouble I've Caused. When not backed by his sterling band, a "loop generator" means he can pull off the peculiar spectacle of jamming with himself. He announces "the unofficial anthem of Manchester" and performs a piano reinvention of the Smiths' There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.

But his final 15 minutes illustrate why he is becoming unmissable. The haunting And So You Fell stuns the crowd into silence with haunting lyrics about a barmaid friend's suicide, before he wonderfully, unexpectedly switches the mood with a stadium-sized anthem titled - pass that swearbox - Cheer Up (You Miserable Fuck).

Another review here:-
http://londonist.com/2007/10/live_review_dav.php

"So very proud"